Sunday, January 11, 2009

Corruption - The Difference Between Democrats and Republicans

While expressing my disappointment and disgust regarding the recent scandal involving Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich, my husband asked me if I was naive enough to think that no Democrats are corrupt. Of course, I know that corruption is not limited to the Republican party (although my perception is that Republicans are more frequently embroiled in scandals...could be bias...I don't know). I would like to offer two difference between Republicans and Democrats when it comes to scandal and corruption:
  • First, the Republican party touts itself as the part of morals and values. Therefore, when a scandal hits a Republican, especially a sex scandal (of which there have been many!), there is an added element of extreme hypocrisy.
  • Second, it seems to me that Republicans defend their own to the bitter end, while Democrats respond appropriately when a fellow Democrat is found to be corrupt. Blagojevich has been promptly impeached, and I can't think of any who have defended him. Meanwhile, Ted Steven was applauded in the Senate and almost re-elected even though he is a convicted felon.

Power breeds corruption, but when we encounter corruption, let's respond appropriately.

No comments: